Here are some Thorne Travel essential points to consider when planning your trip with children which should make life that little bit easier.
- When you are travelling with children you will need to ensure you pick the right hotel to suit the age of your children and the activities your children enjoy. Make sure you give us as much information about their likes and dislikes as well as yours.
- Don’t plan your holiday the way you would have done before the kids came along. You will need to factor in plenty of down time, to give the kids a chance to play and to get accustomed to different food and climate.
- Night time flights are a good idea if you are travelling long haul. The children should be tired enough to sleep for most of the flight, so you don’t need to spend the whole time thinking of ways to entertain them in a confined space. Top tip try to sleep with them as they will arrive ready for action, whilst you are thinking of sleeping.
- Let us know if you want a kids’ club, and we will make sure it provides stimulating and fun activities for the children. You want your kids to be able to do something different on holiday, too.
- Get the kids interested in the destination. A few weeks before you travel, get the kids to research your destination online and in books. Teach them a few fun facts and allow them to choose some places they would like to visit when they are there. This way the holiday will be a more interactive experience and something they are more likely to remember for years to come. You can come in and see us before hand for interactive material to give them.
- Pack appropriately. You will thank yourself if you have packed for most eventualities on holiday. This means packing clothes that allow for changes in weather, or for kids getting dirty within half an hour of going outside. It means packing sun protection and medicines for allergies and the sniffles, as well as headache tablets for you! (Just in case the fun and adults drinks give you a headache).
- Bring plenty of games, toys, books and some form of electronic entertainment equipment to entertain the kids in times of need. Make sure you pack 2 days worth in hand luggage in case your bags or flight are delayed.
- What accommodation would best suit your family, consider whether it would be restricted to rely on hotel staff to do things for you like heat bottles. Children a little older maybe All Inclusive to ensure all the ice cream and drinks are catered for with no large bills at the end.